2020 xpub1 Collaboration, Conflict & Consent
Collaboration, Conflict & Consent workshop: Welcome!
Cecil Rhodes Statue: Proposals
In pair/group or on your own, propose what to do about the Cecil Rhodes statue on the front of Oriel College. Should it be removed, kept as it is, or some other creative solution? If you can, include a quick sketch of your idea. Publish your proposal somewhere online and post a link to it here:
Deciding between the proposals
Links & references
- Rhodes statue
- 'Gay cake' scandal
- For analysis, see:
- ‘No Platforming’ controversy.
- UK National Union of Students policy: https://www.nusconnect.org.uk/resources/nus-no-platform-policy-f22f
- In defence of no-platforming (6min):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmCpKDgj7Mg- A critique of no-platforming:
1.3 THE TROUBLE WITH GENIUS
- Theories of authorship
- For references see: Greenhalgh, E. (2010) ‘Open Wide’ dissertation http://pzwiki.wdka.nl/mw-mediadesign/images/3/3b/OpenWideDissertation.pdf
- And: Daniel Defoe, quoted in: Rose, M. (1994). Authors and Owners: The Invention of Copyright. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard
- Image: memorial painting of William Lee (d.1637) and his 197 descendants: one of the earliest known ‘family tree’ paintings. In St Helen’s church Abingdon-on-Thames. Photo: Rex Harris, Flickr
1.4 OPEN WIDE
- Video – Human Microphone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvJqLo_o7AM
- Video: Carl Rogers on non-directive listening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m30jsZx_Ngs
- Activity: active listening
- Rogers, C. (1990) Client Centred Therapy
- Rogers, C. (2004) On Becoming a Person
1.5 CREATIVE ASSIGNMENT
2.1 DECISION-MAKING SYSTEMS
- Some examples of decision making systems
- Activity: testing out different decision making systems
2.2 THE GROAN ZONE
- Theory of consent-based decision making + critiques of 'final outcome'
- For project examples, see http://eleanorg.org/art
- For theory, look up Seeds for Change web resources.
- For writing on consent, see Yes Means Yes (2018) incl Millar's essay 'Towards a Performance Model of Sex' https://ducttapedance.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/toward-a-performance-model-of-sex-by-thomas-macaulay-millar/
- Assignment: further prototype a solution OR decision-making system to decide Rhodes statue fate.
3.1 PSYCHOLOGY OF POWER & CONFLICT
- Theory: the need to consider operations of power & roles in groups.
- Reference: Freeman, J. (1970) The Tyranny of Structurelessness.
- Theory: Transactional Analysis
- Video & discussion: analysis of role-playing
- History today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEQcsuXnnnc
-John Bercow ‘Order’ compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7EIZl4raY
- Young ones Cornflakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLwc9lbJlIQ
- Rebecca’ (film version) Clip (starts 3:24): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH2vljLgNvU
-‘50 Shades of Grey’ (film version). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFK5SV1-Pzg
- References re: power dynamics and online meetings
- 2011 corporate video on how not to do video conferences https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjqKiLQ771M
- 2020 NYT article on gender differences in digital meetings https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/zoom-meetings-gender.html
- And a research paper it cites, debunking the idea that digital communication (in text form) is a leveller between genders: https://ella.sice.indiana.edu/~herring/herring.stoerger.pdf
- Blog post manifesto for more equitable online meetings, with discussion of power/priviledge https://aspirationtech.org/files/AspirationPowerDynamicsAndInclusionInVirtualMeetings.pdf
- Academic article on power dynamics in distributed virtual teams https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234798464_Who_shouts_louder_exerting_power_across_distance_and_culture
- On adult/parent/child modes: Harris, A. ‘I’m OK- You’re OK’.
- Article: intro to parent/adult/child roles
- On Drama Triangle: Intro video (4.5mins):
- Theory: Attachment & infant needs
Some useful references on attachment & infant needs, met & unmet:
- Ainsworth, M.: ‘The Strange Situation’ experiment
- Horney, K. ‘Our Inner Conflicts’
- Horney, K. ‘New Ways in Psychoanalysis’
- Bowlby, J. ‘Attachment
- Easy intro to attachment styles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP-nPJbTgTs’
- Theory: Splitting & Projection
- On transference & projection: Freud. S. ‘Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis’ - Video: Introduction to Splitting & Projection (3min):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hzrDDBx-Y - For an overview of theory on splitting, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_(psychology) - Video: Transference in Daily Life & Relationships (22min): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDd7iJxn370
- Theory: Drama Triangle
- cf ‘St Michael & the Devil’ sculpture by Jacob Epstein, Coventry Cathedral. (Persecutor beomes victim; rescuer becomes persecutor.)