o h j i a n
Special Issue #16
Exploratory Programming for the Arts and Humanities by Nick Montfort
[ 4 ] Calculating and Using Jupiter Notebook
calculator (to calculate) / computer (to compute) / ordinateur (French, to order, to organize)
Python is a programming language
Jupiter Notebook is an interpreter of Python
Syntax vs. Semantics in programming languages like Python or Processing:
- If the Syntax is correct, the code is formally correct, it is valid.
- If the code does what it is supposed to do, it is intentional.
- Intentional programs are always valid.
- Valid programs are not always intentional.
Syntax and Semantics in HTML (Hypertext Markup Language):
- HTML is not a programming language
- HMTL does not encode instructions
- Web Browser are forgiving and will also render invalid pages whenever possible. Just because a page is looks intentional in a web browser it doesn't mean it's valid code. So maybe other or future web browsers will struggle to show the intended page. Use Validators like validator.w3c.org to make sure your code is valid.
! Dont ever replace the content of a a cell in Python once it has successfully run, even if the outcome is not intentional. Instead copy to a new cell to change the content !
[ 5 ] Double, Double
Indentation is important! Use 4 spaces instead of a tab!
- Function: a bundle of computation 7 it must be provided exactly one argument / a function accepts arguments as well as returns values
- Interface: Schnittstelle / the specific way in which a function accepts an argument and returns values defines the interface to a function
- Argument: Ausgangswert? / Information that is passed into a function / The arguments to the function hold the values that the function needs to do its work. It sends back the answer aas return value
- Value: Ergebnis / Result that is returned by the function
- Sequence: data that is given as an argument
- Element: a sequence can have several elements, a list [element, element, element]
[ 6 ] Programming Fundamentals
Types of Abstraction:
- iteration = generalize a computation over a sequence / looping / allows repeated computation
- polymorphism = a code that applies to data of different types
there are different types of data, for example:
- integral numbers = int
- strings of characters = str
- lists of integers = int
- Boolean value = True/False
some functions or operator only work with certain types of data, other are polymorph and work with different types of data
types of data can be converted = casting
inner and outer universe / scope: variable have a certain value in a function, but outside of the function the same variable can have a different value