User:Emily/Thematic Project/Trimester 02/03
Extracting from course description:
"Narrating the Photobook A three part thematic seminar that explores the narrrative possibilities of both traditional photobooks and exploring possibilities of the digital re-invention of the ‘photobook’ "
What is a photo book?? --> (Traditional)"to turn a series of photographs into a story" mentioned in course description "Photo books are therefore not only books with photos. They are also the expression of the story that a photographer wants to tell with his or her work, the unique result of a photographic vision."
Thinking about the media:
- - Book can be a format to present in a completed way --> physical book, hard to change, remove or repalce its integrated content; it can be a good plateform for concrete results;
- - Book has long life spam --> Sometimes we can be easily disappointed by 404 pages of online projects, but book, the physical format is a solid storage.
- - Digital platform provides dynamic experience of reading/navigating-browing
- - Digital content can be generated and multimedia
- -In my case, I am not from photography background, that's why I am considering how to rework with image and text. My first intuition is to use exist material from films. So maybe I could say for this photobook project, it's all about repurposing content.
- -In 1969, Huebler issued one of his most famous statements: "The world is full of objects, more or less interesting; I do not wish to add any more."
- -Be boring by Kenneth Goldsmith
- "The simple act of moving information from one place to another today constitutes a significant cultural act in and of itself. I think it's fair to say that most of us spend hours each day shifting content into different containers. Some of us call this writing."
- Retooling Huebler's words as, "The world is full of texts, more or less interesting; I do not wish to add any more."
"choice of paper, printing, layout, typography, binding and cover provide great artistic freedom to create a remarkable object"
The physical form and layout of my physical photobook is an important way for me to represent exist texts(subtitles) and images. In this book I plan to reassemble text and words, reader can read cross pages from top to bottom, left to right. physical book--> Four fold, Please check my prototype here: (roll down to the bottom) http://pzwart3.wdka.hro.nl/wiki/User:Emily/Thematic_Project/Trimester_02/01
- circular poems by Alec Finlay
Finaly's work is an example of multiple ways of reading.
different ways of reading/navigating
I am considering add sound to this project--> sound poem.
workshop with Larry
workshop with Kate