Projects for factories
Andre: a factory for making collaborative songs (based on samples)
(think about you want to get across, the issues/questions you'd like to address)
Online collaborative sound/musical composition
- what are the motivations to participate in collaborative sound works ?
- what results might arise from such process?
- how can such a system be devised?
- what will bring users to participate?
- what existing examples of collaborative music composition exist?
- can it become something not serious?
- copyright laws? - an advocation of plunderphonics?
- could a song be created collectively, with unrestricted contributions?
- could Distributed Control Version System be implemented in for music making?
- A system that allows anyone to contribute, to submit his version, to resurrect previous version
To put a song in permanent construction.
- wikipedia could be taken as model of such a collaborative effort; a collective intelligence
However in wikipedia there is a goal: to create the more accurate body of knowledge as possible.
What could be the goal of a collective musical construction??
- compositions could be devised as games
Each one starting from a given sound material, a given set of rules, and an aim
(bringing a bit of humor as in Oulipo creations)
Example of a game/composition:
- Material: the week's #1 hit song
- Rules: users can only use material from that song; no effects should be used, only editing;
- After that week/month the song is finished;
- The various versions will be juxtaposed in chronological order
- Distributed widely (where to?? is there anyway of submitting a song for the tops??)
we are thinking of using git to as the underlying structure managing version history
- Sonic Outlaws - FILM
- mix tape culture books - tape of favorite songs
- Variations series by Jon Leidecker
- Aymeric - The sound of network topologies - http://su.kuri.mu/00000001/2011----THE.SOUND.OF.NETWORK.TOPOLOGIES/
how the projects could enter into a dialogue?
- Dave - svn, git. What does he wants to head with it? What is his take
- Eleanor - shared storage, maintenance
Each project has to think about 2 interfaces in other projects
Eleanor: facebook censored from facebook
if you establish a social protocol that circunvent the restriction that allow a social experiment
- pirco wireless code of conduct - for Eleanor project
Graphic scores and Git
- Cornelious Cardew - The Great Learning - negative feedback built into it
- the reproducibility and
- the social idea between open scores
- if open composition were tools for allowing non-musicians and trained musician to compose-play together
- graphic scores and open composition
- Cobra by John Zorn
- Notations by Christian Marcley
CONCLUSION OF PROJECT PRESENTATIONS
ideas are medium specific
- applying the factory paradigm to the medium which we are familiar with
- the next step is to abstract from the media; what are the common lines between project
when they similar in their structure and their approach