7 OCT 2019 / JAVI
- Can hire Sony RX100 from Budget Cam €33/day https://budgetcam.nl/product/sony-rx100-vi-compact-4k
- Sony RX100 slow mo samples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP20XZXQgEc
- Go to Interaction Station to learn how to make rotating base. Javi is there Wednesdays, he is also giving a class this Thursday @ 8:30h. Email him.
- Apichatpong Weerasethakul
1 OCT 2019 / BAREND
IDEA FOR MOVING IMAGE PIECES
Make two rotating cylinders with LEDs to simulate the moving image street light reflection piece.
LUSTRE OR GLOSS (KODAK ENDURA PAPER)
- Lustre to be safe
30 SEP 2019 / INE
Ine likes the precise, premeditated process of the Eye film (/\/ Pendulum) combined with the more freeform, intuitive approach to the stills. This definitely gave me some food for thought and I see potential in moving my practice forward in this way. The stills photography which is about being elsewhere, moving in-between and through spaces (contemplation in the world) paired with this very deliberate, methodical, pseudo-scientific and controlled approach to making and filming a pendulum, going somewhere through process, interrogation and science. I THINK THIS COULD WORK FOR ME.
LUSTRE OR GLOSS (KODAK ENDURA PAPER)
- The gloss creates a montage as the reflection the viewer sees is superimposed onto the surface of the paper. She has done this in her work and it means something.
- Ine thought it was a shame that I could only buy one or the other.
– unfortunately didn't learn anything new in this department.
16 SEP 2019 / SIMON
- Cartier-Bresson Contact Sheets
- Joel Peter-Witkin
- Increasing the format to 5x4 or 8x10 ?
Trim2 Assessment Feedback / SIMON, BAREND, DAVID, JAVI, INE, STEVE
Artist Recommendation: Ian McKeever
15 APR 2019 / INE
Trim2 Assessment Debrief I talked about feeling like I need to write an artist statement so that I can distil all my ideas, rather than write about method (which Steve has asked us to do).
ARTIST RECOMMENDATIONS (WORKING WITH LANDSCAPE)
- Sean McFarland
— Use of the landscape & medium together.
— Interview on Youtube through The Photographer's Gallery (London) channel
– SF Moma Interview
- Susan Derges
- Dafna Talmor
- Helen Sear
- Florian Maier-Aichen
- Eileen Quinlan
- Lorrain — painter / lenses & prisms
- The Photograph as Contemporary Art - Charlotte Cotton
PLACE TO GO WALKING
REGARDING ESSAY ON METHOD
- Differentiate between methods
- Mention all my methods. Many methods is OK!
- Write a letter to yourself. Make notes.
- List out the methods
— unaltered photographs — altered photographs during exposure — altered photographs during printing (darkroom) — cameraless methods in the darkroom — enlargerless methods in the darkroom (painting with light) — cameraless methods out "in the field" (cyanotypes) — projection experiments "in the studio"
- Describe the different methods
- For Steve's Text on Method perhaps think about focussing on just a couple of the methods but acknowledge the broadening of method.
- Analyse each experiment. Take the time to do this.
VEIL : This word comes to mind when she thinks of my work. She sees a layering in my work. If I want to talk about poetry in my work this is a good word to keep in mind.
18 MAR 2019 / SIMON
Showed my "What does it take to make a contemplative practice?" essay. Simon inclined to not steer me to Post-Media / International Art Speak territory.
My work deals with time.
- Explore micro-specificity of time. Time spent on a photograph is not just one thing. Map out usage of time when making a photograph (every aspect). Taxonomy of time.
- Berger on Drawing -John Berger.
- Theory of Colours - Goethe
- The Craftsman - Richard Sennett
- The Red Shoes - Powell & Pressburger "The Archers"
- Muybridge (other work)
- Stereoscopic photographs 19th century. Max. depth of field.
- 2 contacts and a lucky break. (or thereabouts)
18 MAR 2019 / DAVID
Onorato Krebs image. He sees it as gimmickry. cheap. https://tonk.ch/adding-adding-adding/
Need to take the object outside of it’s context. the optical things out of the lab. What does it mean when you use a lenticular sheet in the forest, on my face. if you’re talking about exposing things that are hidden, shift the context to be about politics, sex, gender, etc.
He was drawn to my Instagram photo of #neglected. (Rotterdam basketball court outside Nan Wang’s studio).
If I’m interested in exposing hidden systems. what hidden systems am i interested in exploring?
Nina Katchadourian - long haul flight works. Seat head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xls3E48SEs&feature=youtu.be Georgio Morandi https://www.google.com/search?q=morandi&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJopKl5ovhAhVEEVAKHbXKCYwQ_AUIDigB&biw=1440&bih=794
My issue. I am neither drawn to, connect with or inspired by the above two artists. Not sure if it's simply a matter of taste here. Time needed to process.
4 MAR 2019 / JAVI
Feedback on Pendulum: could have extended the build up. He thought the polarisation artefacts were lights.
Recommended reading: Post-photography: The Artist With a Camera - Robert Shore
5 FEB 2019 / DAVID
PROBLEM: Unsure how to take my self-directed research forward
Be deliberate, create a situation, stage an image, still life.
ARTIST REFERENCES: Thomas Demand, Jeff Wall "Concrete Ball", Gabor Osz "The Physical Level"
PROBLEM: How to write a proposal for Lucy Art Residency
Don't mention that I'm a student
Discuss time and space related to the location of the place.
Talk about distance, time and abstraction
Using the space as a vehicle to facilitate investigations into how a space can realte to time itself
22 JAN 2019 / SIMON
Showed Eye project.
FEEDBACK: Positive. A classic experimental film with one idea carried through the piece.
ARTIST REFERENCES: Len Lye, NZ born kinetic sculptor and experimental film artist.