character, behavior, emotion
single shots by scale
- extremely wide
- medium full
- medium close-up (Wes Anderson, Yasujiro Ozu, character directly talking to the audience)
- master (show where people are in relation to each other
- close OTS
places and things
- CUT IN (extremely close-up face (eyes move) - CUT IN a letter in hand)
- CUT AWAY (medium body against a diner table - CUT AWAY a car parking outside)
- POV (through the eyes of the subject)
The difference between photography and cinematography...
In photography you might miss a moment forever. Errors can be beautiful.
In cinematography, you never miss a moment, yet the moment can become mundane, or ill-illustrated.
Photography camera is like a typewriter. You type, then you hand out that sheet of words.
Cinematography is... a cog in a long process. Can one shot be an entirety? (Maybe... like a loop. But unlikely.)