1st Thesis outline
1st Thesis Outline 29-10-2018
Virtual Reality is a powerful storytelling tool for the artist
1.1 General introduction.
- Not limited to the static images, today’s art forms has been diversified and enriched. As its development, the power of storytelling has been enhanced. Artists have more choices to select the best storytelling tool as each contains its unique advantages or strengths, and the audience are possible to meet arts in diverse ways. New methods which is not only catching the eyes with visuals, but also pleasuring the ears with sounds triggered the better communication with the audience and it captivated their hearts. Furthermore, the artist can invite the audience to their own virtual space and the audience can experience the totally different world in the illusion. Sensory appreciation through experiencing let the audience to internalize author’s expression in deeper way, in other words, the gap between audience and storyteller is getting closer. As myself is an artist who wants to deliver the message and the concept in a friendly way and, at the same time, can be an audience who always wants to fully enjoy art pieces within easy distance, such new approaches in the stream have been a matter of great interest for me. In this regard, I assume Virtual Reality is the most interesting medium which is worthy of great attention for storytellers. In this thesis, I would like to define ‘a good storytelling’ from my perspective, moreover why VR suits this definition the most among currently available tools.
- When I tried VR for the first time as a gaming purpose, I was highly impressed by non-stop stimuli came through my eyes and ears. Even at some point, I was unaware that I was looking from an artificial point-of-view in an artificial place. In addition, during the last KLIK animation festival in 2017, I attended an VR session and watched a short VR animation. In the VR headset, I was able to be a different object in a random place, and I was totally overwhelmed by the story or mood came from the space. Using 360 degree, the whole space surrounding the viewer, the film aroused a great level of immersion and an overflowing emotion which would have limitation in a flat 2d screen. Through this experience, I saw new possibilities of VR to be used as my storytelling tool.
1.3 Thesis Statement
- - “Virtual Reality is a powerful storytelling tool for the artist.”
- - “Virtual Reality as an exhibitory method allows the digital art formats to deliver the stories powerfully.”
2.1 ONE : My definition of a good storytelling tool.
- - Immersive storytelling : Immersive storytelling enables you to become totally absorbed in the world of the story. It creates an experience that fully appeals to your senses and lets you actively take part in what is happening.
- - Breaking The forth wall : Breaking the fourth wall shatters the illusion that the story is happening in the art piece and pulls the audience directly into the story. Suddenly the audience can interact with characters, make changes to the storyline, and join in an immersive, shared experience. This creates an experience that involves the audience mentally, emotionally, and even physically
- Emotional resonance
2.2 TWO : Why VR suits my definition.
- -Immersive art (The immersive artistic experience and exploitation of space)
- -Panoramic Illusion (the root of 360 degree videos)
- Multi-stimulation (hearing, seeing) and physical movement
- - The conjunction of visual and sounds : my past work
- - physical movement - interaction art works? - participatory experience.
- - Theoretical approach on sensory stimulating art - why, effect
- Emotional resonance through the illusion and the multi-stimulation
2.3 THREE : How can I utilize VR as my storytelling tool.
- Creating own space : control the space - color, size, concept and sound
- The concept of presence (The Swayze Effect)
- - Point of view : 1st point of view / 3rd person point of view (has interaction)/ Ultimate observer (no interaction with VR world)
- Camera movement
“Virtual Reality is a powerful storytelling tool which stimulates human’s senses by creating an illusion fantasy helping the audience to communicate and internalize author’s expression.”
- - Restriction and limitation.