Difference between revisions of "Prototyping"
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
[[Prototyping/2021-2022/T1]] during [[:Category:Vernacular Language Processing|Special Issue #16: Vernacular Language Processing]]
[[Prototyping/2021-2022/T1]] during [[:Category:Vernacular Language Processing|Special Issue #16: Vernacular Language Processing
Revision as of 08:31, 9 November 2021
- 1 2021-2022
- 2 2020-2021
- 3 2019-2020
- 3.1 Trimester 3 / SI #12
- 3.2 Trimester 2 / SI#11 Post-Digital Itch
- 3.3 Trimester 1
- 4 2018-2019
- 5 2015/2016
Trimester 3 / SI #12
Trimester 2 / SI#11 Post-Digital Itch
See schedule for entire SI at Category:Post-Digital_Itch#Schedule
session 4: 2019.11.25
Content - structure, integration to Print and website
- add your content page to
- add to any of the pages the [[LFP Publication]]
Convert content to HTML (for website) and ICML (for print)
- git clone repo: https://git.xpub.nl/XPUB/special-issue-x-pubscript
- install dependencies
- run to create HTML & ICML (inDesign) pages
session 4: 2019.11.11
- what is your module?
- what is its output?
- what is its inputs?
- how does your the module work with others' module?
- where are you at the moment?
- what are you struggling with?
session 3: 2019.10.07
Workflow for the LFO publication
- Gather and organize content on the wiki
- Fetch the content using the MW API and shell tools
- Text group: download on files the texts belonging to the [[Category:LFP]]
- Image group: download the images belonging to the [[Category:LFP]]
- Shell Tools
- curl: GET the API requests:
curl -s "http://pzwiki.wdka.nl/mw-mediadesign/api.php?format=json&action=query&list=allusers&aulimit=10"
- jq: Command-line JSON processor
curl -s "http://pzwiki.wdka.nl/mw-mediadesign/api.php?format=json&action=query&list=allusers&aulimit=10" | jq '.query.allusers.name'
- grep: match patterns
- sed: replace patterns
- curl: GET the API requests:
- Convert the content to the desired formats
session 2: 2019.09.30
- 11:00-12:30: Linux on Windows @Tiza
session 1: 2019.09.16
- Pi URL: http://hub.xpub.nl/sandbox/
- PI IP: 188.8.131.52
- Unix Sandbox 2019.09.16
- pad https://pad.xpub.nl/p/prototyping-20190916
- examples from previous years' prototyping:
- command-line audio: sox, (jack)
- 04.02.2019 Bots
# Trimester 1:
- pi ip: 184.108.40.206
For this year's prototyping, see Prototyping 2015/2016.
Prototyping is about conducting research through an iterative process of making, communicating & testing, and reflection. Prototyping asks you to combine practical technical knowledge with your own research questions linked to the thematic projects, and encourages producing designs that "work" not only in terms of the technology, but on a communicative level to explore particular ideas.
Through prototyping, fundamental concepts of programming will be explored in the context of tools and methods familiar to those with a design background. Graphical interfaces will be contrasted with command-line interfaces as a means of going beyond traditional "iconic" and "user-friendly" ways of working - for example with Graphical User Interfaces and What You See Is What You Get tools - toward the procedural and text-based . Effort will be placed at finding ways to bridge traditional top-down design tools with a code-oriented approach. You do not need to have a particular level of technical experience. What is expected of you is an active engagement with and willingness to explore networked digital media technology. Students of all levels and previous experience will be encouraged to stretch their ways of working and knowledge to hopefully explore previously unknown or uncomfortable territory and broaden their palette of tools.
During the prototyping sessions, you will develop skills in being able to demonstrate and communicate your work to different kinds of audiences and in a variety of situations (online, installation, writing, in-person). To achieve this you will be required to work on different stage of prototyping from proof-of-concepts works to fully functional objects. While the prototyping sessions will allow you to explore the different stage of technical production and communication, you should keep in mind that prototype works are not sufficient to pass a thematic project. See the thematic project section for the requirements.