Calendars:Networked Media Calendar/Networked Media Calendar/11-11-2021 -Event 1
XPUB1 and interested XPUB2: Bootleg Library workshop with Simon Browne, in the aquarium WH4.115
Place: the aquarium WH4.115
With: Simon Browne, XPUB1 & interested XPUB2 (please sign up below)
The bootleg library is a digital/physical/social collection of unauthorised republished texts. It was initiated by Simon Browne at XPUB in 2020. The digital bootleg library is available to XPUB as a stable study resource. This session is to introduce the bootleg library to new students, and try out some ways of organising and annotating the collection. This session is open to XPUB1 and any interested XPUB2. Please write your name at the bottom of this page to sign up for this workshop.
In this workshop we will:
- have an introduction to the bootleg library
- take a quick tour of the digital library
- upload and download texts and edit metadata
- create registered user accounts
- make and edit a "shelf"
- try some ways of annotate the collection using pandoc and markdown
Preparation (please do this prior to the session):
- Install pandoc, an open-source universal document converter: https://pandoc.org/installing.html
- We'll also be using markdown, a simple markup language. Briefly familiarise yourself with it via this cheatsheet (full documentation is available here)
- Bring PDFs to upload, texts that you are familiar with and would like to share. It doesn't have to be an academic text, anything is ok (e.g cookbook, comic, novel, zine, ferry schedule, etc).
Please sign up to this session by writing your names below: